Saturday, January 29, 2011

Time on my Hands is a Frightening Thing

Since I have been sick, I have had some extra time. We have done very little school, I haven't cooked, we've done basic clean up (read: my kitchen floor is filthy but that house is picked up), and I haven't left the house since Monday.

MOST of my extra time has been spent sleeping, snuggling with other sickies, and sleeping. Or thinking about sleeping, or trying not to fall asleep again, or making tea.

But tonight, I got to bed early, without a sick kid with me, and after I talked to my mom on the phone, I still had some energy.

And grading papers didn't sound too fun.

But, I have some sore muscles from being sick, and I had a hard time getting comfy.

So I decided to make a hot compress.

What to use, what to use....

My MIL made some a few year ago--towels sewn into tubes filled with rice that you heat in the microwave. I LOVED mine, but 8 moves later and I can't find mine.

Sniffle, sniffle.

So, I decided I needed something cotton, and something to keep the heat.

And I chose Daniel's least favorite socks, and Oats.

Here you go, another tutorial:

Put the sock in a jar and stretch the top over the mouth to make it easy to fill.
Fill the sock up with Oats (or rice or dried beans).
Tie a knot in the end.
Heat it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
It will be hot, but shake it or otherwise distribute the heat, and apply.

Relief.

You're Welcome.

1 comment:

Allie said...

I love these little tutorials. Very helpful! Hope you're feeling better! :)