Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thankful Challenge, Day 13

13. Soccer. I know it sounds funny to feel thankful for a sport, but if you spent one day with me at the soccer fields you might understand. Over all other sports, soccer is in my veins. Playing it is as natural as breathing for me, but coaching has both required a whole new level of understanding and uncomparable joy. Today Mckenna's team won 3-0, against a team ranked significantly higher than they were. They deserved the win, they worked hard for it and did everything I have taught them, but more importantly they played real soccer, and they loved it. Having my team win as a coach far surpasses the joy of winning as a player. I am thankful for the ability to run, kick, throw, and dribble. I am thankful for the time with my kids. I am thankful for health, fun, and being outdoors. I am truly thankful for the game of soccer.

No comments: