Wednesday, September 24, 2008

On Becoming a Morning Person

Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
~Benjamin Franklin

I am a night owl. I always have been, it's in my genes or something. But recently I have taken steps to become one who rises before the sun, and I have found that, despite the sleep I can't seem to rub from my eyes, there are amazing things that go on when the air is still quiet.

Crisp, cool air brushes my cheeks as I step outside into the early morning atmosphere. A welcome change from the hot, dry afternoons, damp and cool air brings my senses to a full alert.

Walking at 5:45 am gives a person time to think and consider topics too deep to ponder when small children, telephones and responsibilities insist on interrupting.  Spiritual things, personal details, and emotional insights become a little clearer in the light of the rising sun.

Has anyone else ever wondered why children, and others, draw a sun with rays coming forth from a yellow ball? I assumed it was because sometimes if you look at the sun in the heat of the day it seems to radiate light rays. A view I enjoyed one morning has convinced me otherwise. As the sun started to rise behind the hills and rooftops, while only the slightest hint of yellow was visible, striking rays of goldenrod shot out in contrast against the bluest of skies. It looked so much like a painting it seemed ethereal, and I had to stand and take it in.

Besides all that...when I get home from walking the house is still silent. Even Rocky only barely acknowledges my presence. I can grade essays, read the Bible, enjoy a cup of coffee or accomplish a chore in silence, with no interruption. I have found, much to my surprise, that I have more energy and more life to me when I rise early and start the day with a 30 minute walk Who knew? Maybe there is something to the old adage after all.

No comments: